Skies, Plains & Mountains
Camille Wekesa - Kenya
Camille was born in 1968 in Kenya.
In 1996 she went to Art School in Italy where she spent two years at the L’Universita’ Internazionale dell’ Arte and studied different painting techniques, fresco painting, the History and Criticism of Art, Museology and the preservation and restoration of artworks. She then joined the Istituto Europeo di Design in Rome and Milan focusing on design and oil painting.
In 2009 she returned to Kenya from London and lives currently in Nanyuki, one of the most beautiful conservation areas in Kenya, where she has been painting in situ and recording iconic scenery and world heritage sites both in mural format, large scale oil canvasses and gesso paintings. Her latest oil paintings are from around the Mt Kenya area and from her travels to Tsavo and Kitale in 2013.
Camille works primarily as a mural artist both in Kenya and internationally on a commission basis with themes based on African wildlife, nature, landscape, flora and fauna. She is also experimenting with the medium of gesso panels to complement the mural work and exploring layering techniques through delicate use of tempera and the effects of light on gesso panels with brilliant lustre powders.
She is currently working on a five year mural project recording iconic sites in Kenya and complementing this work with smaller gesso panels of the same themes of trees, light, wildlife and nature that she is passionate about. She has been involved on several Boards that support the conservation of some of Kenya’s most important wild and natural areas such as Karura Forest in Nairobi and The Laikipia Nature Conservancy. This mural project is being done under her newly formed company Orkedi Limited and records iconic Kenyan landscapes for posterity.
- Redhill Art Gallery, Nairobi, Kenya. Skies, Plains & Mountains - Solo Exhibition -2016
- Nairobi National Museum, Kenya. Freedom - Group Exhibition -2013
- Deborah Gage - Works of Art Ltd, London, UK. Ancient Remnants - Group Exhibition with Ancent Soi, Kenya -2012
- Nairobi National Museum, Kenya. Tree Life - Group Exhibition -2011
- Ramoma – Rahimtulla Museum of Modern Art, Nairobi, Kenya. - Solo exhibition -2009
- Art Fair, London, UK. Off the Wall -2005
- Ensign Gallery, London, UK. Contemporary Kenya - Group Exhibition -2004
- Lewa Conservancy. Health Centre Laikipia, Kenya -2013
- Lewa Conservancy. Conservation Education Centre Laikipia, Kenya -2011
- Coca Cola Africa Boardroom, Windsor, UK -2007
- Ol Jogi Ranch, Laikipia Kenya. 1996-2003
- Numerous private residential commissions between 1999 to 2015