Salah Elmur - Sudan &
Souad Abdel Rassoul - Egypt
Salah Elmur was born in 1966 in a village on the outskirts of Sudan’s capital Khartoum.
He graduated in 1989 with a degree in graphic design from Sudan University’s College
of Fine and Applied Arts in Khartoum.
Red Hill Art Gallery shows a retrospective of his works: His early colourful, ornamental water-colour - mixed media works, created during his Nairobi Period in the late 1990s.
Salah Elmur represented initially the classic style of painting of the ‘Khartoum Art School’: semi-abstract, colourful, ornamental, symbolic water-coloured mixed media works. From 2000 onwards his style changed completely into large scale figurative-abstract acrylic paintings.
Salah Elmur is a visual artist, photographer, filmmaker and book illustrator.
His works can be found in public and private collections all over the world.
Salah Elmur lives and works as a freelance artist in Khartoum.
Selected Solo Exhibitions
- 2013 – Mashrabia Gallery, Cairo, Egypt
- 2013 – Gazzambo Art Gallery, Madrid, Spain
- 2012 – Mashraia Gallery, Cairo, Egypt
- 2012 – African Cultural Centre, Washington, D.C., USA
- 2011 – Residency of the European Ambassador, Cairo, Egypt
- 2009 – Mashrabia Gallery, Cairo, Egypt
- 2007 – Modern Art Museum, Sharjah, UAE
- 2006 – National Museum, Khartoum, Sudan
- 2004 – Tulifanya Art Gallery, Kampala, Uganda
- 2002 – French Cultural Centre, Khartoum, Sudan
- 2000 – Juliana Art Gallery, Kampala, Uganda
- 1998 – College of Fine & Applied Arts, Khartoum, Sudan
- 1998 – Baladna Art Gallery, Amman, Jordan
- 1997 – One Off Art Gallery, Nairobi, Kenya
- 1995 – Ashtar Art Gallery, Damascus, Syria
- 1994 – Goethe-Institut, Khartoum, Sudan
- 1994 – French Cultural Centre, Khartoum, Sudan
- 1991 – Aram Gallery with Ashtar Art Gallery, Damascus, Syria
- 1984 – Meridian Hotel, Khartoum, Sudan
Selected group Exhibitions
- 2004 – British National Museum, London, UK
- 2004 – Children Book Illustration, Institute Du Monde Arabe, Paris, France
- 2001 – The German Cultural Centre, Khartoum, Sudan
- 2000 – Mezaluna Art de Afrique, Arusha, Tanzania
- 1999 – Sudanese & Canadian Artist Moose Jaw, Edmonton, Canada
- 1998 – Bangladesh International Art Biennial, Dhaka, Bangladesh
- 1998 – Agha Khan Cultural Centre, Stone Town, Zanzibar
- 1997 – Contemporary Artist from Sudan, Arusha, Tanzania
- 1997 – Sharjah Contemporary Art Museum, UAE
- 1996 – City Theatre Hall, Beirut, Lebanon
- 1996 – Shibraen Art Center, Khartoum, Sudan