Smoke and Ink
Evanson Kangethe & William Wambugu - Kenya
Wambugu was born in 1983 in Nairobi, where he lives and works. He is a self-trained artist and has participated in various workshops and extra art lessons, where he has forged a truly personal style.
He is a meticulous observer who talks about the objects that surround him, each object, with its own means, depicting the changes of a fast growing society. He uses black ink and ink wash on paper, cardboard and sometimes rice paper to trace delicate lines. His exceptional pen brings the viewer to notice incredible details in the way he carefully draws each of the objects. The representation is delicate and simple, and at the same time it has strength and great creativity.
Selected group Exhibitions
- 2014 – Crea House, Nairobi, Kenya (Awakening Kenya)
- 2014 – French Cultural Centre, Nairobi, Kenya (Gems of Contemporary Art)
- 2014 – International School of Kenya, Nairobi, Kenya
- 2013 – International School of Kenya, Nairobi, Kenya
- 2013 – Red Hill Art Gallery, Nairobi, Kenya
- 2013 – Goethe Institute, Nairobi, Kenya (Hamsini Art Exhibition)
- 2012 – Le Rustique, Nairobi, Kenya
- 2012 – Roots Contemporary Gallery, Brussels, Belgium (Seats of Power)
- 2012 – Kuona Trust, Nairobi, Kenya (Seats of Power)
- 2011 – Belgian Ambassador’s Residence, Nairobi, Kenya (Anthropology of Tools)
- 2011 – Roots Space Gallery, Nairobi, Kenya (Walks of Life)